niedziela, 8 maja 2011

my first post :)

hi! My name is Dee and I'm here to share all my weird recipes! they are low cal, healthy, FULL OF FIBER and voluminous! and most importantly all yum, yum, yum! this is the first one and bare with me on this one, it's my first time formulating a recipe so if anything is not clear feel free to ask :D

 

fiber rich sweet crackers:
ingredients:wheat bran 150 g
any nut flour 50-100 grams*
small apple
4 egg whites
sweetener*

how to:
blend the apple (or if you are short on time use one of those baby food jars) with egg whites and sweetener. now we all have some favorite sweeteners- I looooove truvia, but in this recipe I used the devil- aspartame! I know, I know it's bad for you and I don't advise you to use it, but I'm out of any good quality sweetener for now on. hopefully in near future I'll be able to get some, but first I need a miracle and some money on my credit card :-)
back to the recipe: in the bowl mix wheat bran with nut flour (almond, hazelnut, flaxseed, pb2 or anything you like, this time I used partially defatted sesame flour and it was yummy!). the more nut flour you will use the nuttier and well, tastier the crackers will be.
add the apple egg white mixture and mix well. doing it with hands speeds it up a lot but be prepared for it to stick to your hands a little.

you are basically done with the preparation. now the baking- there are 2 approaches- microwave and oven.
for the microwave: dump the "dough" on the plate (something safe for the microwave is advisable although I have to admit I've been using normal plates for ages and nothing ever happened). press the "dough" to the plate like you would do with a pie crust. the more you press the firmer the crackers will be- i like them EXTRA hard and solid so I press hard, but my bf laughs I eat stones :D score the dough with the pizza cutter or a regular knife, but don't disconnect it yet- just put it in a microwave. now it all depends on the model you have- mine is definitely from the previous century so take it into consideration and adjust cooing time if you are a little more tech- savvy :P
I like to put it on high for 8 minutes than flip it on the second plate (there will be quite a lot of extra moisture on the plate, but don't be alarmed it will evaporate) than return to the microwave for 6 minutes, flip again, microwave for 4, flip and microwave for additional minute or 2. once you finish they might still be slightly moist but once they cool they will become cracker- like. I like when they become a little darker- sort of like a minute before they burn so I cook them a little longer sometimes, but they tend to burn quite easily so watch them carefully at least for the first time you make them
In the oven: basically the method is the same you flip it once in a while- take them out fully when they start to brown a little- it will take maybe 20 minutes total (not much longer than my ancient microwave!!!) cool for like 10 minutes and they are ready to eat!

I loooooooooooooooove to just pour yogurt on them and eat them like cereals but they taste good plain too. just remember there are FULL of fiber so don't go crazy on them if you are not used to lots and lots of fiber.

NUTRITIONAL INFO (will vary greatly- depends on which flour you used and how much of it. I used 50 g. of sesame flour and the whole batch (pictured) came up to be 510 calories and over 70 grams of fiber!!!

1 komentarz:

  1. YAY!!!!!! :-)))) this sounds great!!! especially with yogurt! mmm!!! :-) lookin forward to all your recipes! :-D

    OdpowiedzUsuń